- About the Founder
- Contact Us
- History / Mission
- Programs and Courses
- Welcome to the web site of Mt. Joy College!
This course provides sufficient training for experienced health professionals and mature, committed individuals and approved treatment program graduates to qualify as co-counsellors in the Hope Alive method.
Phase 1: E-course
Trainees are expected to have a comprehensive understanding of all the theoretical aspects of the course. They will be required to read the book Deeply Damaged and answer tests and an exam online. When they pass the exam, they may apply for the 2nd phase.
Phase 2: Introductory Course Weekend
Training Coordinators will conduct a weekend introductory course that will allow trainees to have a taste of the actual Hope Alive Counselling process. This course will hopefully help the trainee determine if he/she is suited to counselling. On recommendation of the introductory course training staff, they may apply for Phase 3.
Phase 3: Residential Training (60 Hours)
Trainees will undergo an intensive and experiential 6-day residential training designed to acquire practical skills, understand what their counselees will experience and learn about themselves. On completion of training, trainees are recommended to one of the following options:
- Take the examination
- Repeat the training
- Obtain personal help, possibly through Hope Alive group counselling
- Facilitate in a qualified counsellors group
- Become supporters.
Trainees are notified of these options by letter. There is an open book exam of the Hope Alive manual [425 pg] and on information and experience gained during the training. Those invited to take the exam pay an exam fee and purchase the Hope Alive manual. On successful training completion and exam pass [70%], they obtain a temporary Level I certificate to be a co-counsellor.
Phase 4: Studying and Chat Room + Exams
Trainees will be given 3 months to study and write the Level I exam papers which may be submitted either by email or slow mail. The exam is open book and trainees may question a trainer in the chat room.
The main justifications for having such a short course for such a personally and technically demanding program are:
- the huge demand for qualified counselors in this area
- most of the helping and healing profession are ignoring the problem
- the Hope Alive manual gives explicit directions for each sessions
- the counsellor will be carefully corrected and encouraged by a growing number of experience and qualified supervisors
- Many well qualified trainees, especially in developing countries, cannot afford more time.
- daily reliance on the Great Physician.
>> Also in this Section